Sunday, October 15, 2006

Template Terror, Plus A Quick Quiz

So I've been doing the place up a bit? Do you like it?

No, I don't think that I do either.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with the blogger beta template editor. It can do some pretty cool stuff, but being a web designer by profession I feel somewhat obligated to dig down into the actual XML template and see what kind of fun stuff I can accomplish. I'm calling the template I've got up now "BlacklightRoom". The idea, of course, was to emulate some of the colors comonly seen in blacklight-reactive plastics. I've held the DNS registry for blacklightroom.com for years, so it might be nice to someday have a color scheme set up for it.

It was actually a lot of fun to put this together, because while I am often a web designer by profession, it is very seldom by choice. This template is very much an anti-professional template, as no corporate schmuck would ever approve even one of the color choices (except perhaps Sprint, who uses something very close to this yellow). I also discovered during my experiments a very Web2.0 (or maybe Web1.5b) application called TypeTester, which allows you to view font style and color changes on the fly and then compose the CSS for them. Very handy for those of us frequently forced to wonder what exactly an em is.

I'm kind of curious if anyone reads my blog via the Atom feed. While I was playing with the template, I published a draft of a book report* about 18 times, in order to ensure that the site was annoying enough. Did anyone see those? Once, or more than once? And does my template make things look any different in an RSS reader?

The idea of asking my readership questions hadn't previously occurred to me, but now that it has I have a few other questions. For starters, um... do I have a readership? So far I've been trying hard not to write for an audience, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious if I have one. I know I've sent links to this post to several people, but I haven't made a point of telling anyone so I'm left somewhat curious.

Julia Stiles Breasts On The Cover Of Cosmopolitan (Jan 2001)So anyway, drop a comment for me, let me know... do you have me subscribed somewhere, or maybe you're checking up on me occasionally, or you're just dropping by because I twisted your arm or something. Or maybe Google pointed you here because you were searching for "Julia Stiles Breasts On The Cover Of Cosmopolitan." Whatever, I'm curious.

* That's foreshadowing, my friends. A valid literary technique used by Real Authors, proving that I am not in fact Just Some Hack.

1 comment:

Topher said...

got you in both google reader and i visit the page. i'm old fashioned like that.