Tuesday, December 12, 2006

So-oh-oh Urgent... Emergency!

So it's official, I'm on the 15-day Disabled List with a rotator cuff injury. Like a pitcher afraid of the play-offs, I have now managed to acquire a soft-tissue injury immediately preceding three of the our four moves. I have no real clue how bad it is yet, as I'm unable to get in to see an orthopedist until January 4. I imagine I'll get an MRI at that point and find out whether I've torn it or just strained it. Of course, with any luck it will no longer by sore by that point, which will answer the question without forcing me to removing my tongue stud. I've always sort of had a problem with going to the emergency room, unless I thought I was likely to be admitted. It seems to me that ER staff have exactly two types of patients to deal with: whiny little bitches and people who are dying. Neither of those are categories in which I particularly wish to be placed. I may have found a good solution to this dilemna by visiting the St. Anthony's Urgent Care Center. I had never been to one of these nearly-an-emergency rooms before, but it seems far less stressful than an ER. Inside of 30 minutes I was signed up, processed, talked to the doc, and out the door with a sling and two scripts. Of course, actual mileage may vary, as this was a Sunday afternoon and I may have been the only patient. Still, it's worth remembering as an alternative to waiting three weeks for a appointment with my Primary Care Physician.

No comments: